Primary PE Specialism
Train as a specialist primary physical education (PE) teacher
PGCE Primary Specialist PE Teacher Training
As part of a national initiative to improve the participation and skills of primary pupils in PE a new school-led teacher training programme has been developed to increase the quality and quantity of PE teaching in primary schools.
Primary Specialist PE Teachers will be trained to:
- Teach English, mathematics and science
- Lead high quality PE and sport provision within primary schools
- Support other primary teachers to develop their skills in delivering PE/sport
- Lead regional sports initiatives to improve primary PE/sport.
- Have a good honours degree (2.2 or above)
- Have GCSE grade C/4 or above in English, mathematics and science
- Provide evidence of their interest on and commitment to PE/sport
- Have demonstrable skills in a particular sport or sports, and be able to demonstrate sporting excellence at a high level.
The Training Programme
- Will give trainees one year, hands-on training placements in two primary schools
- Will include extensive training in English, mathematics, science and primary practice
- Will have an equal balance between physical education and the core aspects of the primary curriculum
- Will include programmes to enhance trainees’ existing skills in a range of sports, in partnership with recognised sports bodies (such as the Lawn Tennis Association, Rugby Football Union, Football Association, England and Wales Cricket Board)
This programme is delivered in partnership with either:
- Newman University (AT21) or
- Birmingham City University (35ZD)